Code For Venezuela is looking for a Data Engineer to join our team! Our organization is focused on leveraging technology towards social good in Venezuela. As part of this organization, the candidate will have the chance to use it’s skills to have impact in one of the most complicated crises that latin America has faced.
The hire will be responsible for expanding our data ecosystem and optimizing our data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate has a background in computer science. We don’t require previous experience in Data Engineering, but the candidate should be interested in this space.
As a Data Engineer in Code For Venezuela, you will support our Software Developers, non-profit partner organizations, Data Analysts and Data Scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. We are an organization run by volunteers, so the work will be 100% remote and you will have to be effective at working asynchronously. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of helping organizations in Venezuela make better decisions by using data.
Responsibilities for Data Engineer
Help maintain the daily operations of Angostura, our central data pipeline.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using a combination of Airflow and Google Cloud ‘big data’ technologies.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Create data tools to assist data scientists and analysts members in building and optimizing our products backed up by reliable data.
Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
Qualifications for Data Engineer
- This will be an entry level position. Previous experience in Data Engineering it’s not required. The main requirement is a background in Computer Science. You will need to be interested in growing in the following areas:
- Building Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) workflows that can process data from both real-time and batch sources of data
- Improving the daily operations of our ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- These are the technologies that we use in our stack:
- Data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow.
- Google cloud services: GCS, Dataflow, BigQuery, GCS,
- Languages: Python, Golang, SQL.